Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Meta: Flight

This was written for Adam's contest, with the prompt of spending a day in your favourite cartoon. The cartoon is The Vision of Escaflowne.

Adam called me out on the transition to the world of the cartoon, and that's something I'm probably going to fix in edits, though the story probably won't live anywhere but here. That's because, as fanfiction, I can't publish it without checking with the IP reps for Escaflowne. It's also because, as self-insert drivel based around one of the most facepalm-inducing tropes in fanfic, I am not going to clutter up my account on Archive of Our Own with it.

Unsure what a facepalm is?

Image from  http://picardfacepalm.com/
It is when Picard cannot bear to look at you and slaps a hand over in exasperation because he's read six different fanfics this week where people who suspiciously resemble the author appear from nowhere and become his love interest. Three of them weren't even spellchecked.

As one may have gathered, I wasn't super-enthusiastic about the prompt. But I love Escaflowne, and it was great to revisit the world, and I watched a bunch of episodes of the series to refresh myself and also because it is still entertaining.

So if I were to edit it, I think I'd change the transition to the cartoon world into picking up a white feather, because that's imagery that occurs in the series and it gives me-as-character an active role in stepping into the cartoon.

Some of the starting part is based on a story I read years ago called How To Be Fantastic, which is a multiple-choice path to survival if you happen to find yourself trapped in someone else's fantasy.

The bit about dancing was because Escaflowne is noted for having an amazing soundtrack, and there's an episode which relies fairly heavily on singing a folk song; similarly, the tarot reading was included as a nod to canon, as was the bag that contains everything (though that was also based somewhat on real life: my messenger bag is capacious and packed full of interesting things).

The persistent subtle-and-not-so-subtle threats of violence (the falling a lot, the attempted kidnapping, the mole-man groping me-as-character) are based on canon, but more broadly: there's a war on in the series, and it has a lot of the pushy courtship nonsense common to a lot of anime.

In the writing itself, I could probably emphasize more that everything hurts a lot and me-as-character is a badass and ignoring the pain on purpose and not just magically unhurt. I'm quite happy with the way I filled the single day I had in the cartoon: I got a lot of stuff in without it being super-crowded or rushed.

Final verdict: needs more editing, not going to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment