Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Project Update #2

The project I mentioned last time has been sidelined for the moment - there are still things with tone and voice and world that I have to hammer out. If I'm not deeply invested in her story, why would anyone else be?

In the meantime, I've been working on EMTstuck, another Homestuck fanfiction. I have the main story, which progresses slowly, and I've been trying to write a blurb a day. Some days I don't manage it, while some days are really productive, so I've been queuing posts so that one comes out per day. It's a great, low-stress way to get words out: the world is already pretty fleshed out, as are the characters. There's no urgent plot, and all the readers are already familiar with everything. I get to write to get words out, and practice writing tight voice.

I finished a novella, which should be out soon. I started the sequel to it, which is going to address the concept of family secrets. But as the first one took three years, I think the second one probably will, too, and I'm not going to force it. Setting it up the way I did, the first one has the best emotional impact of anything I've written. I'll talk more about that next week, though - I might even have other good news relating to it.

I've also been working on a short story, set in the fourteenth century, which is going to be about 8000 words when done.

This is one of the reasons EMTstuck is important - it gets me writing even when I'm not absorbed in something, so that my skills don't atrophy completely while I'm knitting this dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment